Human hair is composed of three main layers: the medulla which is the core, the cortex, which covers the medulla and the cuticle which is an exterior protective layer. There are many factors that can damage your hair among which we remind washing it in excess with soaps and shampoos rich in chemicals, using the drier too much or exposure to UV rays. Here are the top 10 home remedies for damaged hair.
- Mash 1 ripe banana and work it thoroughly into your hair. Allow it to sit for 1 hour, then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Alternatively, prepare a hair mask by blending together 2 overripe bananas with 1 tablespoon each of coconut oil, honey and olive oil. Apply this paste on your hair, leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water.
- Apply some aloe vera juice directly on your damaged hair. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with warm water.
- Alternatively, mix 4 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Stir it well and apply it on your hair. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, then rinse it off and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- Warm some olive oil and apply it on your hair, massaging for several minutes. Place a warm towel all around your hair and wait for about half an hour. Then, wash your hair normally. Repeat the process one time every week.
- You can also combine one quarter cup of olive oil and one half cup of honey, warm it and spread the mixture all over your hair. Leave it rest for half an hour, then wash your hair as you usually do. Repeat the treatment 1-2 times every week.
- Massage 1 whisked egg on your scalp and hair for a few minutes. Cover with a shower cap and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then, rinse with cool water and shampoo as usual.
- Alternatively, beat 2 eggs along with 1/2 cup of yogurt. Add 1-1/2 tablespoons of almond oil and beat again until you get a creamy texture. Massage your scalp and hair with this mixture. Cover your head with a towel for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with cool water and shampoo your hair.
- Blend ½ of avocado pulp with 1 tsp of olive oil. Apply the smooth paste on your strands and leave it rest for about an hour, then wash gently. If you have long hair increase the amounts.
- Mix 1 mashed avocado with coconut milk and 1 egg yolk. Apply the resulting paste on your hair and massage for several minutes by using circular movements. Wait for about an hour before rinsing and washing with shampoo.
- Boil 1 cup of water and then add a black tea bag to it.
- Cover and allow it to steep for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 or 2 drops of jasmine essential oil and allow the water to cool.
- Use this as a final rinse after your regular shampoo.
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash it off with water.
- Follow this treatment 1 or 2 times a week.
- Mix 1 cup of distilled white vinegar and 3 cups of water.
- Use it to rinse your hair after conditioning.
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse it out with lukewarm water and towel dry your hair.
- Do this once a week or every few weeks.
- Mix 1/4 cup of organic raw honey with enough water to thin it out. Apply it to damp hair and allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Then rinse it out with warm water. Follow this treatment twice a week for effective results.
- Alternatively, prepare a hair mask with 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil. Mix well and warm it. Apply it on your hair and put on a shower cap. Rinse it off after 20 minutes. Use this hair mask once a week only.
- Heat 8 to 10 hibiscus flowers in one cup of coconut oil until charred. Strain and then allow it to cool and then use it as hair oil. Massage this oil on your hair for a few minutes and leave it on for at least thirty minutes before washing your hair well.
- Alternatively you can grind 4 or 5 hibiscus leaves and the petals of 2 hibiscus flower with a little water and then apply it all over your hair, leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply some coconut oil on your hair and massage for bout 5 minutes. Leave it sit overnight and shampoo it next morning. Repeat this remedy 3-4 times every week.
- Make a paste with ¼ cup of honey and 3 tbsp of coconut oil, initially warmed. Apply this paste on your hair, leaving it rest up to 30 minutes, then wash it with lukewarm water. Repeat the treatment 1-2 times every week.
Though trimming is the best way to get rid of damaged hair, you can also try some natural, safe and effective home remedies to help repair your dull and lifeless hair. However, damaged hair cannot be repaired just in a day or a week. It will take time and patience to get the desired result.